Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Maison de Mon Coeur (Home of My Heart)

I apologize, dear reader, for the delay of this post. I got over zealous in cleaning the bathroom last night and was, quite frankly, pooped! Pardon the pun.
A short sojourn to Savannah, GA
July 2009

I love the Atlantic Ocean. The grey, tempestuous waters are unruly even at the best of times. She's never the same sea twice. Spend a mere hour on her shores and you are guaranteed a thousand and one visions of a shifting tide, an ever changing beach.

In my humble opinion, one of the most fabulous shops in the known universe. The Paris Market and Brocante houses a menagerie of antique furniture, exquisite candles, soaps, old type setting letters, posters of ancient biology texts, and myriad other marvelous and quirky findings. Most, if not all from France, need I add?

This little fellow paused just long enough for me to take his photograph. Most of his brethren weren't nearly so kind.

On the North Beach of Tybee Island there's a rock out cropping that stretches at least fifty feet into the sea. Fishermen set up their rods around them, some even brave walking the barnacle crusted rocks to stand on the very tip to cast their lines. One year, Jon and I heard a huge commotion as we were ambling along. We rushed to the rocks and found a fisherman had landed a six foot shark! We got to watch him wrestle it to shore and then set the beast free.
Yep, that's me! The one with the beard is my husband. The wind was blowing so hard that day, the loose sand would wash across the compacted sand like an eerie fog out of a horror movie. Not to mention it wreaked havoc on my hair (and Jon's beard for that matter!)

The rustling symphony of sea oats played against a backdrop of pounding surf. Ahhh...sweet music to my ears.

The road goes ever on and on...

That's the Tybee Lighthouse. I climbed it once. I think I lost count on the stairs somewhere around 150...


That, ladies and gentlemen, would be my dream home...er...castle. That's just a sampling of the gorgeous homes that pepper the landscape. If you're in the market for a lovely old home, look no further than Savannah, GA.

There's a quaint little market at the end of River Street that makes you feel as though you stumbled through a porthole and into a world bazaar. The courtyard was deserted except for these happy little pigeons, feasting greedily on bread thrown to them from the employee of a tour booth. We purchased frozen lemonade and perused the stalls, looking at bags like the ones I found in India, and moss covered wire garden animals!

This concludes our tour of Savannah, GA. I hope you have enjoyed your visit. We hope to see you again, real soon!

Au revoir!

3 comments:

Vagabonde said...

I just found your blog through the Everyday Adventurer. Your pictures and accompanying notes on Savannah make me want to drive down there. My daughter was married in Savannah in Nov 2005, but we did not have much time to enjoy Savannah because of this big event. I’ll come back to read more of your posts as they look very interesting.

Anonymous said...

Looks like such a nice place to leave! I would love to hear the oceane waves again..

Jen Chandler said...

Hey guys!

Vagabonde: If you get the chance, you should definitely spend some more time in Savannah. It's such a wonderful place to relax. Very laid back. It's just a great place to unwind and breathe. Thanks for stopping by!

Icy BC: It's an amazing place to live! I actually used my camera to take some short videos of the ocean just so I could play them back and hear the waves anytime I wanted! Thanks for stopping by!