Monday, May 4, 2009

Monkeys Riding Rickshaws

And no, I didn't just type that to get you to do a double take and read this post, though that would have been a good idea. I was riding to the orphanage this morning and sure enough, I saw a rickshaw, riding the opposite direction, with two monkeys hanging off it. I'm guessing they belonged to the guy smiling at them in the back seat, but I could be wrong. Maybe he just liked monkeys? Maybe he was in shock that two monkeys were muscling in on the back seat of the over-crowded rickshaw?

India is full of strange sights, at least strange in my American eyes. Cows are everywhere, and they are not behind nice little fences in lush green pastures. They lumber along beside the cars and motorcycles, in between the houses. They munch on scraps and garbage, or just sit and watch the world go by. The monkeys don't just hitch rides on rickshaws. They climb around on walls, wander on iron railing, and mingle with the hoards of people who meander on the sidewalks. They look innocent enough, but there's something about monkeys that leave me feeling a bit creeped out. Don't know why; I guess it's just that monkeys always look like they know things. That's always disconcerting in an animal.

Coolest animal I've seen yet has been a camel. I've only seen him twice (and I say him because I'm convinced he's the same one because both times I saw him on the same road pulling a cart). I've even named him. Pete. Pete the camel. I sure hope I see him again before I leave so I can get a picture of him. I had no idea camels were so tall!

There are also water buffaloes here. Not that I've actually seen one, except on my plate. Yes, I have eaten water buffalo! It's really good. It tastes a lot like beef, but is a bit gamy and kind of chewy, but it's really good. Especially when it's used to make beef pickle. Just another Indian delicacy.

Speaking of Indian delicacies, ever tried curd? Imagine watery rice with soured milk chunks floating around with some onions and tomato chunks. They say it helps settle their stomachs. If that is true, I'm most definitely NOT Indian. Not that the really pale skin and propensity to sunburn didn't give that away. I was doing so good with adjusting to Indian food, until I was hit with the curd. Yikes. It beat me and it beat me hard. And I don't feel bad about it. Not. One. Bit.

I have learned something about food on this trip, though. It's one thing to enjoy ethnic foods in the comfort of your own home, where it's safe and you're eating it only because you've made a choice to. Put yourself in the actual culture, without a choice of food, and it takes on a whole new meaning. Suddenly you find yourself surrounded by different smells and tastes. You're taste buds are opened to a plethora of sights and sounds that they would never have experienced should you choose to forever remain in your living room eating take out. Sure, you may order from a very authentic Chinese restaurant down the street, but at least once in your life, step out of your comfort zone and try out life on the other side of the chopsticks. Or in my case, the fingers. There's no silverware in India. Unless your western. Then they produce silverware and strange, crinkly napkins out of thin air. Besides, unless you live on the streets in Delhi (or belong to a very strange circus family), you'll never see monkeys riding a rickshaw in your living room.

1 comment:

Jon said...

I'm sorry the curds got the best of you, but at least you tried it! That's more than most people I know would do... So, good for you! I'm trying to imagine the monkeys and cows and camel all outside this nice, air conditioned house... That would be really crazy!